Friday, October 3, 2008

First Post - Personal Testimony

Hmmm ... never actually thought I'd start a blog. But somehow or rather I knew this was unavoidable eventually and hence, here it is. Just so that we get started on the right page, thought I'd give you a little bit of my background and how it lead me to start this blog and why I say it was unavoidable.

Well, I've thought about this ... and I've decided not to share my conversion experience (those who wants to know can contact me directly). But instead I will share with ya what God has been doing in my life for the past few years.

Hmmm (grin) ... looks like I still gotta give ya a bit of of my past.

Ok, here it goes ... I was brought up in a Christian family. Forced to attend church every Sunday and all the other church activities (Mom was very involved with church activities). Yet in the midst of all the Christian upbringing, all who knew me would say I had a very 'colorful' past. At a very young age (14), I already started running with a gang. So violence was introduced into my life sooner than most and it was an everyday affair for me until I turned 19. At 19 I had a powerful encounter with God which changed my life 180 degrees walking the other way. Btw, just so that you know the extent of damage I was doing to myself. I was already a chain smoker at 16 and was experimenting with drugs at 17. On top of that was drinking alcohol like water by 18. I woke up from that encounter totally cleansed and overnight kicked all habits.

I'm going to skip a lot of details and only give you bits and pieces so that we can get to the present faster. So please bear with me ...

A couple of days after my encounter, uncle David (which still is a pastor in Perth, Australia), prayed with me in the living room and suddenly started prophesying over me. During that prophesy I had an open vision (will not get into details now). But it was through that vision that motivated me to want to serve God full-time. No one believed in God's calling upon my life (guess they were more impressed with my past than God's future for me). Except for one pastor, Pastor Ricky Tan. He saw what God was doing, and took it upon himself to disciple us. Also from that prophecy, I started a ministry call Joshua Race Ministry (JRM) together with a close friend, a Christian rock band to be more exact. The ministry took us to many places including ministering in Japan. Which also got us a contract with Sony Music. Between that time, I attended School of Worship in Hawaii and also staffed there for 1 term. 6 years later after seeing more than a thousand coming to know Christ as their personal savior through our concerts, I decided to call it quits. There were some issues that I couldn't see eye to eye with the rest of the members (will not get into any details on that) and that led me to another 6 years of wilderness ...

One thing you must know though, through out my whole conversion and serving full-time in JRM, I had no income. I totally trusted God to provide for me. It was my parents that put their words into action. My dad supported me not only physically, spiritually but also financially. He poured in tens of thousands of dollars. From his giving, many came to know the Lord. Don't get me wrong though, there were people that gave to the ministry, but was never consistent. Sometimes you may feel that your giving is insignificant or overly exuberant, but trust God to make something out of it. Men can't, but He can! Amen!

Ok ... back to my testimony ...

4 years ago, I went with my family to visit my uncle in Perth. The day we arrived, we drove about an hour up north to attend their church camp. I had an encounter again (without the drama, just a strong impression in my heart). Since then, as Jeff Martin put it, God has been messing with me. I started going back to church and found a wonderful pastor (Pastor Koh Chu Soon of FGA, KD) who was willing to welcome me into his church and even allowed me to serve. Ironically the person that brought me back to church was a former band member of mine (Wilson Duke, one I fully trust to seek counsel from).

Ever since the camp, I've been crying out for God to give me a way of escape and a year ago by the grace of God, we got our PR to Australia approved (and this is another miracle of God, I'll share with y'all another time).

And that brings us to the present. I'm now living in Perth, Australia. I've not started working yet, but God has been faithful in supplying our needs. I'm in the midst of applying for a couple of jobs, but I'm not convinced that that's what I should be doing. Don't get me wrong though, I don't intend to be a bum either. But I do feel very strongly that I should be going back full-time into God's ministry. Well ... do ask God together with me for open doors.

At the mean time, I've been writing worship songs which I'll be posting it up here. If you are blessed by these songs, do let me know what God is doing in your life. You don't need to ask for my permission to use the songs in your church. As long as God and His people are blessed, I count it all joy.

Keep me in your prayers y'all. God Bless!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What epitomizes Tim's blog is that it's not only concise but vibrant and real in its contents and context to the readership. It's also relational whereby one's past is instantly recalled to re-visit the recognition that Jesus Christ is love, hope, and providing in all facets of our lives only if we commit our aspirations/agendas unto Him. Tim will be God's conduit to bless many!